Our trip to New York
This family trip was different to all the others. I wanted it to be really special, celebrating my husband’s 30th birthday. I initially considered traveling somewhere within Europe, but eventually settled on New York, seeing as neither of us had every been to the US before.
When I say that this trip was different, I really mean it. Everything seemed to fall into place and it really couldn’t have been any better. If you’ve ever travelled with a young family, you know that there’s always a potential that something might go wrong. When we travelled to Lisbon a while back, our son was poorly for the majority of the trip and it meant that we really couldn’t explore the city as much as we would have wanted to. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining.
Although we struggled with the cold winter weather at times, overall, we were incredibly lucky, with only one rainy evening. New York is too vast a city to really, truly explore it all in one week, but we did our best, visiting most of the major touristy spots. Now that they’re ticked off the list, the next time we visit, we will be able to explore other parts of the city. And there will be a next time! There has to be, as we absolutely fell in love with it.
Some of our favourites included:
- Chelsea Market – full of cool restaurants and shops. We liked it so much that we went back after the first visit.
- Seeing New York Islanders play Columbus Blue Jackets – we have Islanders caps and t-shirts to prove it!
- Wondering through Central Park, although it did get a tad cold!
- Winning a TV – I can’t believe I’m saying this, but we did, indeed, win a TV. I know, right?!
- Taking a walk down the High line, although I’d imagine this is even better in the spring/summer!
- Visiting MoMa – go on a Friday evening for free entry. But DON’T go after a jam-packed sightseeing day, your legs will thank you!
- Pizza in Staten Island. The ferry wasn’t too bad either!
We absolutely loved our trip and there are so many placed we’d still want to see in New York. I think a spring trip is on the cards next time!